The following is a useful checklist to use when visiting or comparing colleges. We’ve tried to cover many of these areas in this guide.
• What is the philosophy of the college, and how does it differ from that of other colleges?
• What are the entrance requirements and procedures for application?
• Are the fees all-inclusive, or are there additional charges, for example for the supervision of cases or clinics?
• What are these extra fees likely to amount to each year?
• What is the class size?
• What resources does the college have?
• How are students assessed (test, exam, self assessment, portfolio etc.)?
• Is there evidence of networking and peer-group support?
• How is the student’s voice heard within the college?
• Is there any possibility of inter-professional contact with other practitioners whilst at college, or tasters of other therapies?
• How are problems resolved, and does the college have a clear complaints procedure?
• Is time built into the syllabus for business development skills?
• Is support provided after leaving the college and starting up in practice?